Tuesday 8 April 2008

Sometimes it Snows in April

Part of the family room renovations at my house involved a little rewiring. Unfortunately, once I pulled down all the ceiling tiles and got a good look at the actual wiring, I realized that it looked like the last person to do ANY wiring on this house was probably a gang of chimpanzees (I almost sound like Mike Holmes).

There were junction boxes in three different locations, all loaded needlessly with about seven or eight splices in each one. I'm not a certified electrician, but I do know a few things about it. And I know that having that many splices would get any real electrician fired. So, I set out on a quest to trace all the wires going to these boxes and discovered quite a few lines that didn't need to be there. After completely replacing a few circuits and rendering some others non-existent, I'm happy to say that I managed to get the circuit disaster under control. Now I'm almost ready to go back to the original fireplace project.

I had also planned to start getting the workshop set up in the garage being that the weather had actually improved and things were looking up, and surprise, we had a blizzard on Saturday that dumped another 20 cm on the city. The temperature is supposed to climb back up again this week so I may actually get my tools in the garage yet. I also noticed that local markets and so forth are starting to advertise for the summer season so 'RC' needs to get things back on track so we don't miss out on our summer.

Incidentally, with all this talk about being busy and so forth, if someone DID order a project of some sort (like a playhouse), we would have no problem putting one together in about two or three days because we planned ahead and built the parts to make a few more.

No comments: